Defending Minors Charged With Criminal Offenses

When a minor is charged with a crime, it may seem to many that the effect on society is similar to the effect of crimes committed by adults — and that therefore punishments should be similar. However, there is also a traditional understanding that young people often make mistakes as a result of their immaturity. Factors influencing their behavior can include:

  • Peer pressure and other social problems
  • Impulses out of control
  • Family problems that cause stress and "acting out"
  • Mental health issues, including depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, autism spectrum disorders or other behavioral disorders
  • Disability
  • Addiction

I am juvenile criminal defense attorney Adam D. Brown in Waukegan, Illinois. I represent youth and advise parents throughout the Chicago area. Whatever criminal charges you are dealing with as a young person or the parent(s) of a young adult, I can help you avoid the worst consequences and get back on a path toward development and renewed potential.

Starting Adulthood With a Clean Slate

Juvenile criminal justice programs provide some protection for young people accused of crimes, keeping them out of adult jails and other harsh penalties. Even with a conviction, keeping the process in the juvenile courts may allow a young person to have a clear criminal record upon reaching adulthood (age 18) after they have fulfilled penalties for:

I do not believe legal trouble equals failure for a young person or parents. Rather, I view criminal charges as setbacks that can lead to regrouping and a commitment to a better future. I can also advise young clients and their parents on school discipline and special education matters.

If You Already Have a Criminal Record

Let's talk about how you can clear your adult criminal record through an expungement. As a lawyer, I am skilled at preparing compelling petitions to clear my young clients' criminal records. I will leave no stone unturned as we look for your ticket to a better future.

Contact My Office Today

Your future matters. Let us work together to make it brighter. To schedule a consultation, call 773-355-4430 or complete the online intake form.