5 Ways To Protect Your Future When You Face Drug Crime Charges

Illinois drug laws are tough, and if you are charged with drug possession or distribution in the state, you could be facing a prison term of up to 50 years and fines that climb as high as $200,000. My Waukegan law firm, Adam D. Brown, Attorney at Law P.C., can represent you if you are arrested on drug charges.

As an experienced criminal defense attorney with a background as a former state prosecutor, I can provide you with knowledgeable and aggressive representation if you are facing a drug crime related to:

  • Marijuana
  • Heroin
  • Cocaine or crack cocaine
  • Ecstasy
  • Methamphetamines
  • Prescription drugs — including opioids such as OxyContin and fentanyl — obtained or distributed without the proper prescription

Let's look at five things you can do to help yourself, regardless of the outcome of your criminal case.

Actions to Take to Protect Your Future

1. If your drug-related arrest is on suspicion of a first-time offense, you may be able to qualify for the Deferred Prosecution Program in Illinois, which is a year-long intensive program designed to deter future arrests, or another drug court deferral program.

2. If drug dependency is part of the story, face that fact and get professional help. Entering into medically supervised therapy or rehabilitation before you see a prosecutor may be the ticket to avoiding criminal sanctions.

3. If you are under 18, you may be able to increase your chances of a positive outcome if your juvenile drug charges case is handled in a juvenile court setting. This may allow your case to be resolved without ending up with a permanent criminal record.

4. If your drug crime problem came about through association with other people, you may need to disassociate yourself completely from your social network. A social worker or counselor may also help you discover how to break the chains that led to your legal troubles.

5. If you are convicted of a drug crime, all hope is not lost. You may be able to bring about a desirable outcome through an appeal, probation or an expungement. You may explore your options with the help of an experienced lawyer.

Make a Positive Change — Call Today

My firm can advise you on how to move forward constructively after drug charges. Call my office at 773-355-4430 or complete the online intake form on this website.